The Golden Healer's Fantasy Emporium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent?

3 posters

Go down

Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent? Empty Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent?

Post  Chasmira1060 Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:54 am

Hey, all. A friend of mine thinks these movies are too violent for kids' movies. He also doesn't like how, as Christian movies, the heroes all rejoice when an enemy gets stabbed while the enemies themselves are portrayed as just pawns, not real people that matter--his words, not mine. What do others think on this topic?
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

https://goldenhealerfantasy.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent? Empty Re: Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent?

Post  fillygirl90 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 pm

I think the second movie may have had a little too much fighting, but that could be because it had more fight scenes than the book did. I think in the book, there were only two "battles". The one between Peter and the "king of Telmar" and then the one where the Telmarenes were taken out by the trees. The second movie just seemed like fight scene after fight scene with a little bit of down time thrown in here and there.
fillygirl90
fillygirl90
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent? Empty Re: Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent?

Post  Chasmira1060 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:05 pm

I pointed this out too. They added the whole fight scene where they storm the castle. While not in the book, I think it did serve a good purpose of furthering the moral, showing that when they disobeyed and took things into their own hands, they failed. Ach, through half that movie you just want to strangle everyone but Lucy...
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron-is-a-Mexican Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 pm

After the battle in the first film, those lovely fimlmakers decided they had to up the ante and make a film with an equal amount of of epic battle-ness. If they made it all walking through the woods and cooking bear meat, no one would watch it.
I personally thought the battle sequences were handled rather tastefully and allowed Peter to make a facial expression. The bit with the *spoilers*
Cenataurs looking through the gates at their high king, willing to die for him. But Peter looking back all heartbroken. It was a rather powerful moment.
Sure it strays from the book, but if it was EXACTLY like the books, then it would be Sorcerer's Stone/Chamber of Secret terrible.
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  fillygirl90 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:14 pm

this is true, and I can usually put up with the book and movie being different. But it was the attitude of some of the people (coughPeterandSusancough) I mean I hated it that they made Susan and Caspian a love interest when we all know there is no way that would ever work out. Plus Susan and Peter were such jerks in this movie. The only characters I could put up with were Edmund and Lucy.
fillygirl90
fillygirl90
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron-is-a-Mexican Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:14 pm

"Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent?"

And "too violent" for....?
A toddler, yes. Don't take your kids to see it. But that rule of thumb goes for every film.
Do some research before you let a kid go see a movie.

Or are you all talking from personal preference? Was it too violent for you?
O.o I really hope not.
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron-is-a-Mexican Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:19 pm

The Susan/Caspian bit was a bone for the fangirls. Probably in hopes they'd write a fluffy heteronormative fanfic for once. But the fangirls seem to enjoy making Edmund pregnant and Lucy and Tumnus in love.
*shrugs*

And as I recall, Peter and Susan were douches the entire book. They didn't believe Lucy about Aslan. They were always like, "Maybe you imagined it lol."

And I think the director needed to make the audience kind of emotionally divorce from Peter and Susan since they won't be main characters again until Horse and His Boy and the Last Battle.
They are growing up, and Edmund and Lucy are still children. This distinction had to be shown somehow.
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  fillygirl90 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:19 pm

It wasn't really too violent for me it was just kinda annoying that once the fighting got started it took FOREVER to stop. I mean I like a good fight scene but when it goes on and on without any real breaks... well I just don't care for that sort of thing. I had the same problem with the LOTR 2nd and 3rd movie only that was worse cause it kept skipping between lots of different fights and got kinda confusing
fillygirl90
fillygirl90
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  fillygirl90 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 pm

I suppose that that's true.... Though while Peter and Susan were slightly annoying in the book with their disbelief, in the movie they seemed bitter and indifferent. And that's very true about alienating those two... in the book I felt horrible that they weren't coming back but in the movie I almost felt that they deserved it.
fillygirl90
fillygirl90
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron-is-a-Mexican Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:25 pm

>.> Watches as Narnia thread dissolves into a Lord of the Rings deconstruction thread.
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  fillygirl90 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:39 pm

hey unless someone keeps that going it won't happen I was just using it as an example of one of my movie pet peeves.
fillygirl90
fillygirl90
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron-is-a-Mexican Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:42 pm

*throws hands in air*
I was just saying.

But no, I don't think the Narnia movies have been too violent. In fact, the lack of any kind of gore makes what violence is present in the films seem almost cartooish.
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Aaron-is-a-Mexican
Cheeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Chasmira1060 Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Aaron-is-a-Mexican wrote:
Sure it strays from the book, but if it was EXACTLY like the books, then it would be Sorcerer's Stone/Chamber of Secret terrible.

You know, I beg to differ. I liked the first two HPs because they WERE like the book. However, I must still concur as to number 6 being my fave movie so far in the series.
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

Back to top Go down

Post  Chasmira1060 Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Aaron-is-a-Mexican wrote:"Are the Chronicles of Narnia too violent?"

And "too violent" for....?
A toddler, yes. Don't take your kids to see it. But that rule of thumb goes for every film.
Do some research before you let a kid go see a movie.

Or are you all talking from personal preference? Was it too violent for you?
O.o I really hope not.

No, deusch, it was not too violent for me. I was simply asking an open question of whether it's too violent for kids based upon an opinion of a friend of mine.
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

Back to top Go down

Post  Chasmira1060 Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

And as I recall, Peter and Susan were douches the entire book. They didn't believe Lucy about Aslan. They were always like, "Maybe you imagined it lol."

Amen and amen.
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down